Published:

“Adelphi has given me the opportunity to do it all. I’ve been enjoying it on the field and off the field.”

On the soccer field, Issa Tall has more hardware than Sears and a lengthy resume that includes prestigious national accolades. Off of the field, Issa has shown he can perform in the classroom as well. A recipient of Adelphi’s 2011 Cecil K. Watkins Memorial Scholarship, Issa is also a member of the Entrepreneurship Society, and he holds a 3.4 GPA and plans to go into advertising.

But college life wasn’t always smooth for him. As an international student from Mulhouse, France, Issa was first confronted with a language barrier as a freshman. With limited English, he was forced to learn what his professors were teaching, as well as how they communicated.

“The relationships I have with the professors working in the field has been great,” he said. “They have been advising me.

“The beginning was kind of hard in terms of the language. In the beginning, you translate from English to your own language, but after a while, it gets better. Even in class, at first you are shy. Then, leadership and confidence comes.”

That confidence has transformed his collegiate life. Aside from netting the soccer team’s second-best three goals last fall, Issa also works in Adelphi’s Office of Public Affairs, where he helps organize and run several cultural events throughout the year. The experience has provided him with many networking opportunities.

“Adelphi has given me the opportunity to do it all,” Issa said. “I’ve been enjoying it on the field and off the field. It’s been a great experience so far.”

Like many Adelphi students, Issa hopes to parlay his positive student experiences into a career. He is currently looking for an internship in marketing and ultimately wants to work for a firm or an agency. His vision is solid, but one question has lingered:

“People have been asking me over and over again, am I going to stay here or go home?” he said. His answer? “It depends on the opportunity that comes.”

For further information, please contact:

Todd Wilson
Strategic Communications Director 
p – 516.237.8634
e – twilson@adelphi.edu

Contact
Phone Number
More Info
Location
Levermore Hall, 205
Search Menu