Student Services

Residential Life and Housing Accommodation

There are limited housing spaces available for accommodations and priority will be given to individuals who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. All disabilities, and history pertaining to the disability, must be documented by a licensed and board certified provider with competence and expertise in the area of diagnosis.

New Hall B at Adelphi

Special housing accommodations are not standard academic accommodations. In order to determine if special housing is a reasonable accommodation, we must receive detailed current and comprehensive documentation of the correlations of your disability with the need for special housing that cannot be secured through the Residential Housing Room Selection Process. Documentation should be submitted with professional letterhead and the qualifications of the examiner provided. Please include the Petition for Reasonable Housing Accommodations (PDF) with your documentation. Please see the ADA Housing Policy and Procedures for further information regarding campus housing and accommodations. Please also see the Policy on Reasonable Accommodations in Housing Assignments for further information regarding guiding principles and specific procedures for reasonable accommodations in University housing assignments.

Please note that providing the college with medical or support information does not guarantee approval of a special housing accommodation request. The Student Access Office (formerly Disability Support Services) will review the information provided and determine if the need should be accommodated (i.e., single room, double room, air conditioning, etc.).

A major part of the college educational experience is for students to learn to live on their own. Adelphi University provides on-campus housing to enhance intellectual, social, and cultural development through the experience of living with other individuals who bring a variety of social and cultural backgrounds to the community.

Please note that requests for single rooms based on a student’s desire to have a “quiet, undisturbed place to study” are not considered eligible under the Americans with Disabilities Act or Section 504. By virtue of the shared facilities, resources, and number of people living under one roof in the residence halls, a single room does not provide for such quiet, distraction-free space to any appreciable degree beyond living in a standard double room.

The housing deposit deadline for upperclassmen is April 14th; therefore, the Student Access Office recommends that students who wish to request a housing accommodation file a Petition prior to March 15th.  
The housing deposit deadline for first year students is May 1st; therefore, the Student Access Office recommends that students who wish to request a housing accommodation file a Petition prior to April 15th.
Petitions and documentation can be sent through email format to or mailed to:

Student Access Office
Post Hall, Room 107
1 South Avenue
P.O. Box 701
Garden City, New York 11530-0701


For further information, please contact:

Student Access Office
p – 516.877.3806
e –

Residential Life and Housing
Earle Hall, Room 100
p – 516.877.3650
e –

Apply Now
Request Information