Student Services


  • Academic and Professional
  • Audience:

  • International Students
  • Service Providers:

  • International Services

    Employment for International Students

    Types of Employment Available for F-1 Students

    employment-for-international-studentsOn-Campus Employment

    F-1 students are permitted to work on the Adelphi University campus while maintaining a valid I-20 and student status. Employment is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session and 40 hours per week during official school breaks. Please note that in all university offices, summer employment is limited to 27 hours per week. Once you secure employment on campus, which includes part-time positions, graduate assistantships and teaching assistantships please provide the Office of International Services with your employment offer in order to initiate the social security number process and necessary employment steps.

    » See On-Campus Employment Information for F-1 Students

    Curricular Practical Training

    F-1 students are eligible to engage in curricular practical training after maintaining valid F-1 status for one full academic year. This employment must be an integral part of an established curriculum and be in the form of an internship. The training requires college credit and program authorization.

    CPT Requirements:

    • Employment must be in the form of an internship authorized in agreement through Adelphi University.
    • Requires college credit and program authorization during the period of time the student is enrolled for the internship.  Ex. If the student is requesting an internship for the fall semester, the student must be enrolled for the internship / individual credit bearing course during the fall semester (not before and not after), if the student is applying for the summer internship the student must be enrolled for the summer.
    • Must have maintained valid F-1 status for one full academic year prior to applying for CPT (Students engaged in pathway programs do not accrue time toward status)
    • Student must show evidence that the internship is an integral part of their academic major
    • CPT authorization is required for all off-campus internships whether paid or unpaid

    » See Curricular Practical Training Requirements and Application

    Optional Practical Training

    This is temporary employment for practical training directly related to your major. In order to be eligible to apply, you must have maintained F-1 status for one full academic year, and the training must be done while school is in session or after completion of studies.

    This training requires approval from USCIS. Contact the Office of International Services for more information. An application fee is required.

    » See Optional Practical Training Requirements and Forms

    Severe Economic Hardship Employment

    A student may be authorized for off-campus employment under the following circumstances:

    • Severe, unforeseen economic necessity
    • Must have maintained F-1 status for at least one academic year
    • Application procedure through USCIS

    For more information, contact the Office of International Services. An application fee is required.

    Employment Assistance

    The Center for Career and Professional Development is your destination for landing internships, developing career skills, assisting in the job search and interview preparation, counseling and mentoring, and resume and cover letter assistance.

    To learn how we can help you, visit us in Post Hall or check out the Center for Career Development.

    Visit the Student Life Intranet for additional information, accessible with an Adelphi eCampus login.

    For further information, please contact:

    International Services
    p – 516.877.4990
    e –

    Center for Career and Professional Development
    Nexus Building, Room 225
    p – 516.877.3130

    Students and Alumni:

    Apply Now
    Request Information